Mónica Roldan Molina
Advanced microscopy technologies applied to the diagnosis of rare diseases
Researcher Mònica Roldán graduated in Biology in 1996 from the Autonomous University of Barcelona. In 2000, she completed an Experimental Master in Pharmaceutical Sciences and in 2003 she received the Advanced Studies Diploma in the framework of the Medicines, Food and Health program at the University of Barcelona. In 2008 she received his Doctor of Biology degree (Cum Laude and Extraordinary Award) from the same university.
His professional experience in the field of advanced microscopy technologies goes back to 2006 when I obtained a position at the Autonomous University of Barcelona as head of the Confocal Microscopy Unit of the Central Scientific and Technical Services. During 2007 she spent a stint at LAMBS- MicroScoBio, Laboratory for Advanced Microscopy Bioimaging Spectroscopy at the University of Genoa, where she studied multiphoton microscopy techniques and F. She has been an associate professor at the University of Barcelona and has given internships in various bachelor's and master's degrees in the field of biology at the Autonomous University of Barcelona. She is currently an Associate Professor at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia. During his career she has directed a doctoral dissertation at the University of Barcelona and six master's theses at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
From 2005 to 2017 she has been the coordinator of the Leica Confocal Microscopy Training Center and is currently conducting confocal microscopy training and advanced fluorescence technologies for researchers from all over Spain. Since 2010 she has been teaching at different microscopy centers in Costa Rica and Mexico (Universidad de Costa Rica, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana de México, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados of the National Polytechnic Institute of Mexico and INECOL). She is the author of more than 40 scientific articles in the field of these technologies.
In 2017 she joins the Leader of the Newly created Confocal Microscopy and Superresolution Unit at the Pediatric Institute for Rare Diseases of the Sant Joan de Déu Hospital. This unit is located at the Pathological Anatomy Service and has a care and research aspect. She is currently working on a number of projects, including the diagnosis of rare diseases, which involves the development of unique methods that combine advanced microscopy technologies and image analysis with artificial intelligence to develop new diagnostic tools. In this context, she is working on diagnostic methods for serious diseases, such as Duchenne-Becker muscular dystrophy, Ullrich and Bethlem's myopathies, and mitochondrial diseases, as well as hematological diseases such as thalassemia.
- Yubero-Siles D, Natera-de Benito D, Pijuan J, Armstrong-Moron J, Martorell-Sampol L, Fernàndez G, Joan Maynou Fernández, Jou-Munoz C, Roldan M, Ortez-Gonzalez CI, Nascimento-Osorio A, Hoenicka J and Palau F The Increasing Impact of Translational Research in the Molecular Diagnostics of Neuromuscular Diseases INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES . 22(8): 4274.
- Cantarero-Abad L, Juárez-Escoto E, Civera-Tregon A, Rodriguez-Sanz, Maria, Roldan, Monica, Benítez R, Hoenicka J and Palau F Mitochondria-lysosome membrane contacts are defective in GDAP1-related Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease HUMAN MOLECULAR GENETICS . 29(22): 3589-3605.
- Castillo-Ecija H, Monterrubio C, Pascual-Pastó G, Gomez-Gonzalez S, Garcia-Dominguez DJ, Hontecillas-Prieto L, Resa-Pares C, Burgueño V, Paco-Mercader S, Gene-Olaciregui N, Vilà-Ubach M, Restrepo-Perdomo C, Cuadrado-Vilanova M, Balaguer-Lluna L, Pérez-Jaume S, Castañeda-Heredia A, Santa-María López V, Roldan M, Suñol M, de Alava E, Mora J, Lavarino C and Montero-Carcaboso A Treatment-driven selection of chemoresistant Ewing sarcoma tumors with limited drug distribution JOURNAL OF CONTROLLED RELEASE . 324: 440-449.
- Project name:
- Application of Advanced multimodal microscopy and imaging to foster therapy development in neuromuscular diseases
- Cecilia Jiménez Mallebrera, Mónica Roldan Molina
- Funding entities:
- Torrons Vicens SL
- Turrons Vicens
- Starting - finishing date:
- 2020 - 2023
Institut de Recerca Sant Joan de Déu and ICFO create a joint lab to improve neonatal and paediatric health care
The new joint laboratory will advance the use and development of photonic technologies to understand, diagnose, monitor and treat paediatric diseases.