The Microbial Genomics Design, Analysis and Interpretation unit integrates scientific expertise and knowledge in clinical microbiology, next-generation sequencing and bioinformatics to provide individualized assistance for the design, sample processing, data analysis and the interpretation of microbial genomics studies in the field of biomedical research.
The unit offers support to researchers from the Institut de Recerca Sant Joan de Déu and SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital, as well as external institutions, and includes:
- Advice for experimental design. Council for the planning of microbial genomics studies taking into account the study's objective and hypotheses; the availability, type and number of samples; sequencing technology and bioinformatic analyses; always following a cost-effective approach.
- Processing of biological samples. Extraction of DNA and RNA from biological samples following the most appropriate laboratory protocol to optimize the amount of nucleic acid obtained.
- Analysis of sequencing data. The sequencing data processing follows the most appropriate analysis workflow according to the study's design, objective and hypothesis and the type of sequencing data obtained.
- The interpretation and integration of the data. Interpretation of the results obtained in a biomedical context by the design and approaches of the study. The unit also assists in integrating the results obtained in the writing of scientific articles and in the corresponding deposit of the generated sequencing data in appropriate public repositories.
- Research staff linked to SJD (IRSJD or Hospital): €80/sample
- Research staff not linked to SJD (IRSJD or Hospital) with competitive public projects: €100/sample
- Research staff not linked to SJD (IRSJD or Hospital) with private projects: €120/sample
Contact and schedule
Dr. Carmen Muñoz-Almagro
Director of R+D+i of Microbiology at SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital.
From Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.