- Royal Society of Medicine
- Internal deadline:
- Official deadline:
The BMDST-RSM Student Elective Awards allocate funding to medical and dental students who wish to go on an elective including a research element in the next academic year (or at least six months from the application closing date).
Proposals can include any type of work as the scope is wide and covers a variety of research topics.
The funding allocated is decided by the board when applications are reviewed.
The scheme is open to medical and dental students studying at UK and EU medical and dental schools. The medical or dental school must confirm that they support the elective. The applicant must also have the proven support of the host institution.
Grants cannot be given to electives that are taking place before the next application deadline.
Submit a 700-word proposal on your medical elective that includes the following information:
- The type of work involved (the scope is wide and includes any type of research)
- Its purpose (aims)
- The approach you intend to take to collecting information or data and to the analysis (methodology)
- The projected outcomes or potential impact of the research
- How this experience will help your career development
You will also need to attach the following documentation to your application:
- Letter/email from your medical or dental school confirming that they support your elective
- Confirmation letter/email from your host institution if applicable
- Recommendation letter/email from your tutor/supervisor
- Confirmation that full consideration has been given to the ethics of the proposal
- Confirmation that full consideration has been given to health and safety of the student
The application deadlines are 31 January and 31 July each year.
Submissions should be made using the online form.